.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

The Daily Nar

Pulsus a mortuus equus. thedailynar@gmail.com

Google
 
Web thedailynar.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

The Daily Nar's Pre-Game Show



Click for larger image.

I'm only going to say this once (yeah, right) then leave it to much more seasoned and intelligent pundits to reinterpret my predictions with lots of credibility (read: facts).

This thing feels weird, and weird is never good.

What do I mean? Well, as an "average" Canadian, who just so happens to have enough time to actually attempt to pay attention to the goings on in Ottawa at the moment, the events unfolding are not really shaping up to favor anyone. Case and point: the Opposition Trifecta (I'm coining that one you thieves!) are bludgeoning the government with the "the Parliment has lost confidence in you" angle that is really scoring with me. It keeps it fresh in my mind that all three parties feel strongly enough about something (gasp!) and are motivated enough to keep bringing it up every time they get a chance. Good move.

But, and there is always a but, none of the parties have the stones to actually make a move and kill the lame horse of a parliament and get things rolling for fear of reprisals at the voting booth. Bad move. The way this comes across, and the way I would play it, is that even united these parties can't actually get things done. If I were part of one of those parties, I'd make sure we were pushing for an election as soon as possible, then go around saying "Yeah, we did it. We were strong enough to stand up for what we believe and DO SOMETHING. No more talking, no more political backrooom deals for a post election power grab. It was time for action and we did just that. And that's what Canadians want. A leadership that's not afraid to take control of an out of control situation." Or something to that effect.

And guess what? That's what Canadians DO want. At least according to the poll I read yesterday in the Metro (again, I leave it to others to find the sources to my ingenious arguements). Something like 50% of respondents are more concerned with social issues than Liberal scandals or tax cuts. So in my opinion, doling out tax cuts always makes Canadians smile like a kid with a shiny new toy, that smile wanes quickly. People are worried about long lines in hospitals, not the $211 they might get back on their income taxes (which may barely cover the increase in their next hydro bill). When the McGuinty government took over in Ontario they had an internet town hall survey thing. You know what the overriding response was? "We are willing to pay more for services if the government can produce results". We are proud of our social services in Canada. But these days, we are forced to defend the ideal, because the reality on the ground has shifted. These kind of results right now seem to favor the NDP. While we all know they have no chance of winning an election, the party they endorse (and by proxy indicate to us which party has the best plan for social services) will be critical.

My suggestion to the Big Reds: stop telling people who have to pay top dollar for daycare or wait 45 minutes in an emergency room whilst having a heartattack about how much more money we get to put toward the national debt. Results are needed.

Attacking the Liberals solely on the scandal front won't win the election. This election will be decided on social services planning.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong (so what, no one reads this, and I don't get paid for it). If I'm right... can I get paid for this?

The Globe and Mail: No 'grey zone' on Opposition ultimatum, Martin insists

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home